Dual Language Learning is More Meaningful
Learning a language is especially meaningful when you are immersed in it and when you know that being able to communicate in that language will be worth your while. At Yavneh we make learning Hebrew relevant not just as a tool for traditional prayer and a key to deciphering sacred texts, but as a spoken language for everyday living.
Benefits are Seen in All Subjects
With classes staffed by English and Hebrew speaking co-teachers, students in lower grades learn all parts of the curriculum in both languages. Learning Hebrew through dual immersion bolsters our students’ identities and benefits cognitive functions and academic learning across all subjects.
Hebrew Teaching in Action
Benefits of a Dual Language Education
- Dual language education programs are the most effective way to learn new languages. Graduates of such programs achieve higher speaking and literacy skills.
- Dual language students typically score higher on standardized tests relative to their non-immersion peers, including in English language testing.
- Younger dual language students tend to become more accepting of diversity.
- Hebrew dual language classrooms create a stronger connection to Israeli culture.
- Dual language students are more flexible thinkers and have stronger critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Dual language classrooms help develop stronger executive function (cognitive control), allowing students to have better focus, juggle multiple tasks, and adapt to changing conditions.