The air was buzzing with creativity and excitement as Yavneh Day School marked the milestone of its 10th Annual Day of Code, Tinkering, and Play. Reflecting on this transformative journey, our K-8 STEAM Director, Vanina Sandel, expressed her gratitude: *”I would like to thank all the volunteers who worked yesterday to make The Family Day of Code, Tinkering, and Play 10.0 a success. Families from Yavneh and from the greater community had the opportunity to get a glimpse of our robust STEAM initiative at Yavneh.”*
A decade ago, Yavneh took a leap of faith into the world of coding and tinkering, and yesterday’s celebration encapsulated the continuous effort and joy experienced daily in crafting the STEAM initiative at Yavneh.
Adding a touch of nostalgia and wisdom, we were honored to hear from Day of Code alumni who are now true innovators in the STEAM world, as well as alumni grandparent Dr. Terry Winograd, professor emeritus of computer science at Stanford University and co-director of the Stanford Human–Computer Interaction Group. Their reflections provided a beautiful backdrop to the transformative impact of this annual event.
The activities on site this year were nothing short of spectacular.
🖥️ **Coding Stations:**
- Coding with Scratch Jr (PreK-K)
- Coding with Mario Bros (3rd and 4th)
- Coding with loops (1st and 2nd)
- Coding with AI (5-8)
- All the supplies one would need to bring your imagination to life
🔧 **Tinkering Stations:**
- Build and launch spaceships
- Make flashlights out of popsicle sticks
🌐 **Family Challenge Station:**
- Make your own magnetic chain/maze using PVC pipes
- Build a roller coaster with pool noodles
- Hot Wheels challenge: Test and predict which car will go the furthest on different ramps
- Rube Goldberg cartoon challenge: Design a machine to put toothpaste on a toothbrush
Thank you to the Fremont High School Robotics team for joining us and inspiring young, future innovators. Team Sparkbots added a high-tech touch to the day with a captivating robotics and physics interactive demonstration.
A heartfelt thank you to everyone who contributed to this incredible day of learning, creativity, and community. Here’s to another decade of innovation and inspiration at Yavneh! 🌟👩💻🎉
#YavnehDayofCode10 #STEAMeducation #InnovationCelebration