Have you ever wondered what the best brand of bubbles was? To answer that question, you’d first need to determine what you meant by “best.” Perhaps you were curious about where you could find the most bacteria on our campus or how you could create a device that would help people reach an item off of a top shelf at a supermarket.
This year, the middle school students participated in one of three ways for the annual Yavneh Science Fair: a traditional experiment, a product test, or an engineering challenge. Inspired by questions, interests, or even a family vacation, students learned about scientific methodologies through their projects. Our two judges were very impressed by the depth of engagement and scientific thinking that each student demonstrated.
On Monday, we will be introducing the next Keshet of Kavod middah, Yetzirah(Creativity). One of the many ways that our students show creativity is through their originality. Particularly moved by research questions that they had never seen before, our judges announced the following awards:
Science Project Category:
- First Place: Solly, grade 7- What substance preserves apples the best?
- Second Place: Noa, grade 7 – How does the height of water falling impact the amount of electricity created?
- Third Place: Zack, grade 6 – How does smell affect taste?
Engineering and Product Testing Category:
- First Place: Rikki, grade 7 – Shopping Cart Step Stool
- Second Place: Harrison, grade 7- Which bubble brand works best?
Honorable Mention included: Fenton, Naomi (7th), Ryan, Meital, Stav, Levi, Itamar, Naomi (6th), Max, Ben, Oliver
I’m already looking forward to what we’ll learn at next year’s science fair.